SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jessica Watson
Thread: Jessica Watson
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
This whole thing got me thinking about what happened last weekend. I was on a boat that rafted up with another boat, a stranger with a teak decked 47' $450,000 boat. Among the three boats in the raft-up there were at lest 5 little girls from about 4 to 10 years old. The big boat had three hatches on the forward deck. They all opened so that they layed flat on the deck exposing three two foot square holes. One of the hatches was over the master bedroom bed and the girls would drop themselves the 5 feet to the bed. They had a great time, it was like a jungle gym. The other two hatches were over the teak and holly sole about 8 feet down. The kids were playing around all three hatches, jumping pushing, being kids.
Franky I was terrified. A tumble down any of the two hatches over the floor could have been fatal.
Sadly I did nothing, I was probably one the the least experienced guys on the flotilla. The father of the girls had been sailing for over 20 years and had held professional jobs in the industry since he was a teenager.
I had also never met the man before. I'm thinking I should have at least said something. Thankfully no one got hurt. If one of the girls fell and was brain-damaged I can't imagine how I would feel let alone the parents.
Where does our responsibility end? I was only crew on one of the other boats. But still!!

Last edited by davidpm; 09-11-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook