SailNet Community - View Single Post - Engine Replacement
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005

dman is on a distinguished road
Engine Replacement

Helimech Don`t worry too much about the engine.Get it checked out and then make your offer accordingly.To have this engine done over you are looking at around 5 to 7K,probably less since a rebuild for the Perkins will give you liners pistons rings bearings gaskets...for around 1500.These are solid running motors and top quality.Yeah they weight more,noisier than the Yanmars but they are built for reliability and low RPM.Getting this engine rebuilt would be your best option if it needed to at all.At the least you should get the exhaust side cleaned out and put in new thermostats,impellers............Don`t give up on this motor just yet and there are alot of low cost industrial engines around that can be marinized with your parts.If it sounds like I am a Perkins fan I am.These older motors are workhorses.Many people that do not like them are into fancy design,less vibration and low weight.Dollar for dollar with a person who doesn`t have money to burn they cannot be beat.If you check around your area there will be a quality mechanic that will build this motor for you really cheap on the side.I purchased an industrial 4108 that was at an auction from government surplus(fresh) for 1200.I than marinized it myself and for about 1500 I have another 20 years (my boat does).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook