Engine Rooms - Space for Scotty et al
I've been looking recently at boats and am in the middle of making a decision but I have one nagging question about design.
When it comes to boat design, given the allowable space aboard, would you opt for or against a dedicated engine room ? By this I mean having the engine below the companionway with access behind stairs and behind panels OR would you prefer a dedicated machine space that's enclosed with the engine and maybe even room for some other mechanical doodads.
My thinking is something along the following lines
Engine Rooms PROS
- Lots of sound insulation
- Dedicated fire supression system(s)
- Contains fumes, dirt, mess
- Machinery / thru-hulls consolidated in one space (weight central & low)
- Maybe space for tools / spares as well ?
Engine Rooms CONS
- Consumes valuable space
- May restrict access to all 4 sides if it's packed with other equipment
I'm looking for some feedback or input. I'd like to hear what you have and why it's working (or not) for you.
I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts. - Mark Twain