SailNet Community - View Single Post - Aspects of cruising
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009

Cobra160 is on a distinguished road
Aspects of cruising

I am not sure where this goes but I thought I would start here.

I am looking to get into sailing. Maybe start in FL and the gulf of Mexico. I would like to get a 35' or so two (Married person) boat. I have been in the flying mode for some time. I own my own plane that I have to upkeep and hanger. I fly all over the US so I know about regulations and such that need to be addressed. I have done some small boat sailing on our lake. I am more interested in getting into live aboard type of sailing. A month at a time to start with. Possibly in the Gulf of Mexico or Bahamas. Most if not all repairs or maintenance I can do myself. I can make sails as well as any wood or fiberglass work that may need to be done.

What I would like to know from the experts is what is involved in live-aboard sailing. What kinds of permits am I looking at for sailing in the gulf or possibly the Bahamas? How long can these boats stay in the water without coming out? What are some of the gotcha costs that always are there but you never find out until you own? I am the kinda guy that does things on a budget. Fish for food rather than go ashore to a restaurant.

On an airplane you need to have it inspected by an authorized mechanic. Is this the same for a boat or can anyone do the inspections?

Thanks for any help

Dan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook