SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another First Time BVI Charter
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009

kootenay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamble View Post
Thanks Murphy - that story is exactly why we were on a strict mooring ball diet for our first time around in the BVI's, absent dropping hook at some stopover locales (e.g. Sandy Cay)... We received some of the same entertainment though over at the anchorage/mooring field at Trellis in BVI. There is a very shallow area that jets out on the way into the dinghy dock and we had one of the nearest moorings to it. My dive boat that had picked me up earlier that day warned me about it stating that it was so shallow that even a dinghy would get hung up. Sure enough, that afternoon/evening as everyone was quick to come to shore for the dinner and Full Moon party festivities people unkowingly would "shortcut" through this area to the dinghy dock only to hear their dink's outboard "wack" against the bottom, pop up on it's pivot and stall - all passengers looking fearful for life. The first few times we tried to yell and wave off those headed for their beached fate to no avail (they just couldn't hear us/see us and weren't paying attention). To that end we simply would sip cocktails and await someone to say - "here comes another one"... Free entertainment.

We saw the same thing but in the morning after a full moon party. My wife and I had just completed our onboard portion of the Bareboat cruising course and were heading ashore to have breakfast and write our exam when a boat tied up to a ball on the west side of Trellis near the airport let go and motored at full throttle straight towards the east entrance. When it hit the reef I bet the stern came up 3-4 feet from the impact. Our instructor and I hopped in the dinghy and led them out of the anchorage once they had backed out. I dove on the bow to have a look and luckily they had hit a sandy portion and other than a few scrapes it looked OK. But it was entertaining. If you are planning to head for Anegada (sp) make sure you clear it with the charter company. They do have restrictions. If you miss it (and its real low in the water) its along way to africa.

See you at Foxy's dont drink all the painkillers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook