SailNet Community - View Single Post - cockpit enclosure
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
At heart, I'm one of those 'purists', but having sailed boats in the tropics both with and without biminis, I'm coming around to the realization that a bimini is almost a necessity in those regions.

In my own cruising grounds wet is as big a deal as hot, and again I can see the point of a way to say out of the downpour... but for me now, at least for now, using a autopilot remote under the dodger is doing the trick. In the absence of tropical sun I'd prefer to be able to easily see the sails, the windex and the rest of the world.

As far as the various greenhouse enclosures go, again I can see the point of the "extra cabin" and the comfort under way, but my God some of those contraptions are butt ugly and really ruin the looks of a lot of boats.

So in the end, as a purist of sorts and being quite hung up on aesthetics I will probably resist going that way for as long as I can.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook