SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cat 30 or Ericson 32

8K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  ntnbetr 
#1 ·
Am looking to purchase a new boat for wife's comfort and my sailing. Am very interested in a Cat 30 and a Ericson 32. Can anyone tell me how they like their Cats sailing and spousal comfort and which boat they would prefer.
Right now I've got a Lancer 28 and it hasn't got a lot of stability or comfort for my wife, its fun to sail though.
Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Last month's Good Old Boat magazine features a local owner's Ericson 32. I have a Catalina 30. They are of the same mid-80's vintage.

The Ericson 32 is faster than my boat. You are welcome to check out my boat in Edmonds. I may be able to get you in touch with the owner of the Ericson 32, which is in Kingston, and even closer to you.

If you like, I would be happy to take you sailing on my Catalina 30. (she's not for sale ;))

PM me and we can set something up, if you wish

David

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I've wanted a larger boat for awhile and have mainly considered the C30 because of size,comfort and affordability. The Ericson was just pointed out by another friend, I don't know much about the boat.
I'm really trying to make wife happy which makes life happy:D

#7 ·
One great thing about the Cat 30 is the galley. It's a bigger galley than almost any boat I know of up to 40 ft. or so. I would think your wife would appreciate that, and the sheer roominess of the boat.

on edit: also there are tremendous owner resources on line for the Cat 30, that makes it much easier to maintain and upgrade.

#9 ·
He bought the C30.

I imagine he's got his hands full getting the boat home, and getting her set to sail.

I trust we will hear soon.

David

#10 ·
He bought a C30 eh! sheesh, and said E32 rumour has it, for the right $$$ it might be sold. Spouse wants/needs a slightly easier boat to ingress/egress due to arthritis or equal issues. So they may be looking for a boat with transom that is open vs closed.

I also know of a 35' Erickson here in Edmonds for sale too! Owned by two folks, they waited 3 yrs for slip space, and one partner decides that he wants a bigger more ocean going boat! The couple that want to keep the boat are slightly heartbroken!

Marty

ps,

to the OP, enjoy your new to you boat!

#12 ·
Congrats on the new boat. The first rule of sailing is "if the Admiral isn't happy, nobody is happy".

Sometimes, I'd love to have a faster boat, but the truth is, I love the comfortable accomodations on my Catalina and I wouldn't trade that for a few seconds a mile. (As if I had a choice after my wife went below on the C36).

You should look into the C30 owners group. I find I get a lot of useful information from the C36 group and I bet the C30 folks will prove to be a valuable resource as you enjoy your new boat.

#15 ·
Still re-fitting

Since I purchased Anicca I've completely found out how a C30's built. I've rebuilt the compression post,replaced the keel nuts, water pump,water heater,electra-san treatment system, standing rigging,furling system, bilge pumps,added a new Standard horizon chartplotter,depth-finder with a Si Tex radar and am now replacing the old plumbing with pex. Next is the wiring.
We're almost ready to go cruising,if the dump truck doesn't run out of money.
My Admiral is really happy with the boat which is of primary concern.:)

#17 ·
Billy654, Sorry for the late response Don't have any current pictures but Anicca is a 1975 serial #103 fin keel standard rig. She has an Atomic 4 and is really comfortable and easy to sail. Perfect boat for a novice sailor to cruise and enjoy the Sound

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.