SailNet Community - View Single Post - The View From The Top
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
The View From The Top

I went up the stick again last weekend, to see if my new wifi device (see long post on that) would connect with the mystery antenna at the top of the mast. It fit like a charm. In fact I brought it down so I could play with it during the week and test it out. (I'm not sure if it's a cell phone antenna or a wifi antenna or something else.)

This time I brought a working camera. Here's me at the top. Note that I stil don't have a cover for my masthead light. The little bugger works but needs some dielectric grease (silicone grease?) and a cover lens. Also you can clearly see a close up of the unmarked, still a mystery, antenna. The VHF antenna is right behind the mystery antenna and the bottom portion of the windex is right over my head.

And here is the excellent view from the top. I could see the ocean in the distance, as well as Long Island Sound. 65 feet up is enough to be higher that the other sailboats around -- at least that day.

This time wasn't nearly as scary as the first time. Maybe you get use to it?

The Top Climber connected to the main halyard really works well. I also had a "one way" type knot tied to the spinnaker halyard that went to a bowline around my chest, under my arms. If the main halyard failed, it would hurt, but I'd be able to reach the "one way" knot and slide it down, and me with it. I really like the 2 halyard method. One of these days I'll probably have to climb with only one, I'll have to rig something else as the plan B.

I have more pictures. If anyone wants to see them, I'll post them.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook