SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tough little boat
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
I'll chime in too. The Pacific Seacraft is a nice boat and would do the job easily. The other comment above about the Contessa 26 is right on but the price is more likely to be LOWER than that. Another couple to consider are the Continental 25 (almost identical to the Contessa) and the Grampian 26. These are all classic, guaranteed to get you there, older design. Your Catalina is quicker.

For that matter you could buy a Shark, a Northstar 500, a C&C 25, a Mirage 26, a Hughes 26 or a Nonsuch 26. These are also pretty bulletproof designs. The C&C, Mirage and Northstar are faster, the Nonsuch is pure simplicity and the Shark is a Shark, heavy but surfable (trust me I know, that was concusion #3 involving a spinnaker pole).

Anyone of these boats can be had for under US$12,000 but not one will have been built after 1980 with the exception of the Nonsuch. They just can't build a decent small boat nowadays that can handle a rough ride in comfort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook