SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question:how many hours do you feel like is the life expectancy
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Hours don't matter much to me and I actually prefer an engine that has been run & run hard vs. one that runs 5 minutes in and out of a harbor.

I'd much rather buy a boat that has a 1/2 hour or motoring out a river or inlet to get to good sailing grounds than one that only needs to run five minutes or less at a time. Short runs are far worse than long hard runs on the engine.

What matters more to me is condition, oil analysis, prior owners running habits and the overall condition of the engines exterior. Are hoses fresh and not cracking, is there lots of visible rust, are there oil leaks, wher are the maintenance records etc., etc.. How often has the gear box fluid been changed? Yearly? What about antifreeze? Yearly or bi-yearly? What about oil changes? Every 50 or 75 or is it 100-150??

The general condition of the boat, it's bilge and engine compartment will tell you more about how it was taken care of than just about anything. A clean bilge and engine compartment are true signs of pride of ownership and a likely sign the engine has been well cared for..

This one had 2872 hours on it when the photo was taken but I keep up with maintenance and replace anything an anything that needs it. Many don't..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook