SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

feedback on short list 1977-1979 C&C 26, Hunter 27, Sabre 28

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sailingfool 
#1 ·
I'm narrowing in on a few boats having inspected about 10 over the last month. My primary intent is daysailing and overnighting, primarily on Narragansett bay (RI) and short trips to Block Island, Cuttyhunk & Martha's Vinyard. My wife is my primary crew, but she is a "fair weather sailor", so I expect to single hand frequently. We previously owned a Pearson 30 for 7 years, then switched to stinkpots for the last 10 or so years.

I've looked at a number of Sabre 28's, priced from $12 to $20K. All but one have leaky deck hardware. Several on the low end of the price range had chainplate or compression post issues. The Sabre is doable financially, but more than I really want to spend. The number of Sabres with leaky deck hardware is turning me off a bit.

I saw a decent C&C 26 and a Hunter 27 both well below $10 K, which is more comfortable in my present budget. The C&C has no significant issues, but is pretty bare bones and I would expect to spend $4K to add electronics and a dodger and to replace the interior cushions.

I've sailed on Sabre 28's, but not on the C&C or Hunter. I would like to know more about sailing attributes of the Hunter 27 & C&C 26. Although I don't intend to race, I compared the PHRF base ratings with a Catalina 27 thrown in for reference.

SABRE 28-3 186
CATALINA 27 207
C+C 26 219 (not many of these were built)
HUNTER 27 219

One way that I've been thinking about this is after a few years cost of ownership, the difference in the initial purchase price will be pretty insignificant.

Are there other boats in this size/price range that I should be considering?

Thanks,
Chuck

See less See more
#2 ·
We were in the market for a similarly sized boat earlier this year and looked at a lot of Sabre 28's that unfortunately had similar issues, particularly with the compression post. We ended up with a Cape Dory 27 which has been great so far, but definitely a bit different than the boats on your current list. Our old boat was an S2 27. Not many were made but we enjoyed that boat a lot. During our search I saw a number of them in the $8k-12k range that appeared to be in good condition. Sailed nicely, and had a good layout down below. Good luck with your search.

#5 ·
We were in the market for a similarly sized boat earlier this year and looked at a lot of Sabre 28's that unfortunately had similar issues, particularly with the compression post. We ended up with a Cape Dory 27
Interesting that you ended up with a CD27. My "other short list" is Cape Dory 27, 28 or Sea Sprite 28...

#6 ·
Hello,

Someone beat me to it, but the Newport 28 would be a good choice. I owned a 1986 model from 2004 - 2006 before moving up to an Oday 35. The newport was a sweet sailing boat and came well equipped. Most Newports will have self tailing winches, lines led aft, roller furling, hot and cold pressure water, etc.

Another good boat would be an O'day 28. Some have wheel, some have tiller. Boat sail well.

good luck,

Barry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.