SailNet Community - View Single Post - Average devaluation on sailboat...
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009

SebastienL is on a distinguished road
Wow, I didn't expect to receive feedback so fast!!!

Ok, I guess I should make my question more specific. I hesitate between 2 alternative sailboats (similar builders, both should be equivalent build quality), on one side are 25-year old boats with asking prices around 40-45k and on the other new or near-new boats at 150-200k.

Most of the boats falling in the used category are still using their original sail, so I'd expect to change those within my 10 years ownership. Using the same logic, I'd expect that the new boat will sell in 10 years with its original sails and electronic. The used boat might necessitate some serious maintenance (engine, deck, etc.) even assuming I choose one with a better than average survey, but how much more costly than a new boat?

I understand that buying a sailboat is not a good financial decision and forward priceless hours on the water! But between these two extreme alternatives, I'd like to know what is the real cost difference I should expect... Then I'll be better prepared to decide if this difference is worth the extra pleasure I get from a newer boat!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook