SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portlights..
Thread: Portlights..
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
D Boy,

Quick recommendations for you:

1. Before you bed the panes, take the extra time to seal the edges of the laminated glass with a couple of coats of epoxy. This will add another layer of protection from water getting between the layers and delaminating the glass (which leads to the cloudiness.)

2. Choose your bedding compound carefully. Although the glass should be impervious, some sealants will attack the adhesives used to laminate the glass, giving water a runnning start at getting in there. (Hopefully not an issue if you do step 1, but why tempt fate right?)

Hope it all goes well,
PF
I have 17 rolls " don't ask i got a good deal and did not read the size of the auction till after i got them" It is a sealer designed to be put in to an aluminum frame with glass. It a polly based seal that seems to be more like a roll of puddy and was built for aircraft and boats. We did one boat with it and it works very well.. Now its my turn..

You install the seal then the glass and compress and the excess is forced out and trimmed with a x-acto blade. It will never harden and looks like a thick taffy??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook