SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking opinions on best diesel repower for long-haul voyaging
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I like Yanmar I must admit and would probably go there if re-powering.

Raven now has a Bukh (Westerbeke in America) and the only complaint I have is that it's a bit noisy. Then again it's also 20 years old and if you listen to Maine Sail's engine (video in his oil changin thread) which also looks like a Bukh/Westerbeke to me it is beautifully quiet. Our noise problem may simply be a combination of old age and out of date dampening. Also had a Volvo for many years and it never let me down.

If Maine's diesle is Kubota not Westerbeke then I'd be giving Kubota a big tick as well.

One thing I'd keep in mind is that once you are out there, you are going to be in Asia/Oceania a lot of the time. Ergo, things that are popular in Asia are going to be easier to service and/or find parts for.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would go turbo as an auxiliary for a sailing boat.

"Those who do not observe the impulses of their own mind must of necessity be unhappy." Marcus Aurelius
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook