SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew wanted for Fall Sail from Buffalo to Nova Scotia
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halberdier View Post
Hope to leave Sept 28 from Buffalo. Schedule depends upon the weather and crew.....

If you watch the adventure shows on TV, every place on earth is the most dangerous. That's the hype. and it is true if you pick the day....

Fall in the maritimes is usually the best weather. Little rain, sunny but cooler. We'll watch the weather forecasts and proceed accordingly. Plus we will be sailing daylight hours port to port or anchorage....

I don't watch much tv. But I've spent some time studying that route.

The route you propose is probably on the order of 1100-1200 nautical miles along the rhumb line (without detouring to Labrador). Factoring the reported frequency of equinoctial gales, and the reduced amount of daylight after the autumn equinox, you should probably anticipate slow progress if you plan to complete it in a series of day-hops.

Also, there are some remote areas (along the Gaspe, in particular) where it might be a stretch to make it from port-to-port in reduced daylight hours. In researching that route, I concluded that mid-late summer would be the favored season to transit (although, not necessarily best for good sailing winds).

I hope Halberdier or whomever joins him will report back after the trip. It would be great to see photos and hear suggestions about route planning. While I would have preferred to learn that you were getting an earlier start, it sounds like an awesome trip. Best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-18-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook