SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question : Install New Engine vs Rebuild
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 09-18-2009
DwayneSpeer
Old Fart

Raw water cooled?

If the old engine is raw water cooled don't even think about a rebuild. The old engine, even if rebuilt is just waiting to fail due to something inside corroding thru.

I don't know about all the manufacturers but when I repowered with a new Beta they made engine mounts that fit onto my old engine bed. I just had some adapter plates made so that the new mount bolts and the old bolt holes worked. No big deal and definitely no rebuilding the engine mounts!

Also, I did all of the installation work on my project and I'm just a back yard mechanic. The two things that were a bit unusual were that the new engine turned opposite of the old and the throttle hookup was also backwards. I now run my transmission in reverse for forward, no big deal for a Volvo Sail Drive, and hooked the throttle up backwards also. Both readily achievable.

The bottom line. Don't give up on a new engine of a different make until you have looked into it very carefully and are sure it just won't work.

GOOD LUCK!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DwayneSpeer; 09-18-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome