SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009

kootenay is on a distinguished road
Since I am new to the Sailing part of being a sailor but spent a few years in the RCN and since Saberman posted a Destroyer story.....

I was an ABRP on the HMCS Terra Nova and sent down by my Chief to work on the refueling party. We were on A RIMPAC exercise off Hawaii and pulled up alongside a USN AOR (Oiler). I was the first guy closest to the rail pulling in on the light messenger when the heavy messenger came inboard, which is tied to the refueling probe, when the detentioning rig on the oiler jams. One minute I am holding on to the line standing on the deck the next second me and one other guy are hanging 25 feet above the water about 10 feet away from the side of the ship. Luckily they 2 other guys managed to maintain the lines grip on the capstan. As the ship started to sway together again they hauled like crazy to get us inboard and as we were hauled inboard over the railing I must admit my shorts were in need of a quick change. The only benefit to this evolution was the double tot of Navy Rum we got issued. Lesson learned ....if the line starts to run let figgen go.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook