SailNet Community - View Single Post - Proud new owner of a G26 looking for advice
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009

keniris is on a distinguished road
G26 owner

Hello patbarbeau,

I received a heads up on your enquiry from another recent new owner of a g26. I have made several modifications to my g26, not the least of which was greatly improving the main sheet attachment for safety. I'd be happy to send you a list of thing and pics too if you wish - send me your regular email address, mine is ken2mor-net.on.ca.
Re: OMC 2 stroke. My boat is a 1982 I believe and the engine has never given any problem. I've covered hundreds of miles on St. lawrence and
Lake Ontario. Most important is the mixture to avoid smoke and plug problems; I use ~75:1 in premium gas. The boat is very stable, doesn't bob around like lighter boats and there is lots of head room inside for a 6' person. I'm very happy with mine.
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patbarbeau View Post
I have just bought my first sailboat a 1975 Grampian 26 which according to surveyor is in quite good shape. I have very little sailing experience but very excited about learning. I plan to sail in the St-Lawrence river near Quebec city for my first few seasons. I would be interested in hearing from sailors with G26 experience about upgrades done and things to watch on this boat.

Also, mine is equipped with a 2-stroke 1978 OMC saildrive engine in fairly good condition for its age. I would like to know your thoughts on such motor.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited by keniris; 09-19-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: correct email: ken@mor-net.on.ca
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook