SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau SO 45.2
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009

Gene T is on a distinguished road
I like the 45.2 a lot. But it is not known as a fast boat. Jeanneau build very solid boats. The 45.2 is the older design which used a grid and stringer system, the newer boats use a pan liner. I prefer the older building methods but the new boats are plenty strong.

I have not sailed one but they have a very nice layout, with the exception of the galley design, if you are OK with that fine, it has enough other good things going for it.

56hp sounds too small for that boat.

You really need to understand what buying an ex charter boat means. It has probably been well maintained but it has been used, used, used, and should really be thought of as a much older boat. If it has been used in the tropics it will have a lot of sun damage. It will also have less desireable configuration. Probably engine driven refer, furling main sail, extra cabins and heads, no holding tank and the posibility of an odd electrical system. On the positive side it may come with lots of gear.

A charter boat might have multiple coats of bottom paint that will need to be removed.

What to look for. Check all stringers and ribs for delamination or cracks caused by a hard grounding. Inspect the rudder closely. Check the keel/hull joint. Moisture check the deck.

I have known several people who have bought ex carter boats, they each spent much more that they figured on to make the boat what they wanted.

You can probably get a user manual on the Jeanneau web site, but it will likely be in French.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook