SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question : Install New Engine vs Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by krozet View Post
If I went with a new engine I was planning on moving from a 16HP Yanmar 2GM20F to a 27HP Yanmar 3GM30F. I don't need the extra HP but the price difference between a re-manufactured 2GM20F and a new 3GM30F is $600.
You need to know what "re-manufactured" includes and actually means. The problem with re-builds is that most all of the parts and pieces are still 20+ years old such as the alternator, starter, fuel pump, water pump, raw water pump, motor mounts, transmission, heat exchanger etc. etc, on and on.

Most "re-builds" only include the internals of the engine and perhaps the high pressure fuel pump but be sure to get an itemized description of just what will be replaced in an re-man engine.

Re-builds are nowhere near the value of a new engine especially with today's parts prices and labor rates. Heck you can barely buy a Yanmar alternator for $600.00 let alone a starter, motor mounts, heat exchanger, transmission or the myriad of other items NOT replaced when a re-build is done....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook