SailNet Community - View Single Post - Time to Teach the Kids How to Sail
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009

dakine929 is on a distinguished road
Time to Teach the Kids How to Sail

Been having recurring dreams of past sailing adventures. When I was 14, I worked all summer doing odd-jobs around the neighborhood to save up for a Sears Catalog Snark sailboat. When we picked it up at the store and found it to be a giant "Styrofoam Ice Chest" my father suggested a fiberglass kit and quart of marine paint to finish the hull. Once completed, my brother and I couldn't wait for the weekend trip to the nearest big lake to try our hand at sailing. We carried that boat over 1/2 mile to a big pond and spent most of the day learning how to stay in the boat.

I joined the USN three years later and spent the next six years on a different sailing adventure. I did get to sail Navy MWR boats in San Diego, Great Lakes, and Florida. One WestPac we stopped at a smaller island in Indonesia and got to sail one of their MWR boats for a day. First boat I sailed without a real transom!

Spent some time in Hawaii and helped crew several friends sailboats with my wife and children. We then moved to Virginia. Been working some killer hours with a killer commute. I am meandering toward something here....

Before my kids head-off and start their own killer jobs/commutes I would like to teach them how to sail. I usually come home and vegetate through the weekends but would like to mend my habits to something a bit healthier. We started looking at sailboats. We live 1.5 hours from Deltaville with a country drive worthy of the effort. Very serene. No I-95 madness.

By taking out a 401(k) loan and paying myself back the interest (need to justify so play along) I can purchase a 30-35' boat around 20 years old. We are looking at a 1989 Catalina 30' or similar vessel. My wife of 23 years is humoring me at the moment from shear curiosity of seeing what I do next. She has shown a great deal of interest in sailing and would probably appreciate some time on the water her oneself. The kids are game!

Been working with some brokers in MD and VA to locate that first family boat. We want to home port in Deltaville. Any suggestions to make this a positive experience for all hands?

Last edited by dakine929; 09-19-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: spelling/syntax errors
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook