SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau SO 45.2
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009

vadimzh is on a distinguished road
Thank you

Thank you for your answers. They are very helpful. Yes, the boat will most probably come from Caribbean charter fleet. I have heard people referencing sun damage and "washed out decks", but I have never seen one to undertsand. When you say, lot's of sun damage, how would it look like? I understand sails will probably be UV damaged, I have seen that, but what does sun do to a deck and boat itself? What kind of repairs it entails?

I have also heard people saying watch for headliner problems. I am not even sure this boat has headliners or what to look for?

Cabins are fine, as I actually need 4 cabins. I primarely do coastal sailing around the San Francisco coast, so it actually a benfit to me. Especially, the ability to quickly convert forward cabin to one big or two smaller ones. It is bad for most cruisers, but it is good for me for the next 5-7 years, until kids grow to be independent.
Kitchen design, while I do not like flat style whole side kitchen, as long as I can add some handles, so I can feel somewhat secure while coocking under way, I can live with it (I guess, untill I really try :-) ). On the same subject, I wonder if people have expirience adding handles to main cabin ceiling on 43/45 Jeanneau boats as the it seems way to big to walk while sailing in any decent seas.

I do hate roller furling main. As it brings three problems: possibility to get stuck or unfurl in strong winds (actually had it once happen to me. Very, very unpleasant), no buttens, problems with quickly adding storm sail. Are there ways to change it to just drop down configuration without completely replacing mast? How pricey such modifications get?

When you said it is not "known as a fast boat", what do you mean? I understand, it is not SC52 or J120 and it will not go planing on the downwind, but I was thinking it should be able to do 8kts with iron sail and 7-9kts in 20-25kts. Am I off? Could you elaborate?

Blt2ski, thank you. Downloading it now.

Vadim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook