SailNet Community - View Single Post - J92-type vs Alerion 28-type vs Alternate
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009

Roscoetuff is on a distinguished road
J92-type vs Alerion 28-type vs Alternate

Done the cruising thing. Looking for fun daysailing and possible infrequent over-nighting. Gotta be comfortable enough for the wife (we're 50) who's been sailing for years, but while following instructions well, doesn't want to be too active as part of the crew... if you know what I mean.

Plan is for boat with an inboard, a head, and not much more than that below - place to get out of the rain if need be. Simple. Like to have enough sail area to get moving in typical light winds of the Chesapeake summers. Looking for modest maintenance costs, too.

Spent the weekend learning down at J-world to gain experience on asymmetrics and other high tech rig goodies. Not looking to go crazy... but it sure is nice to move along well even when the winds are in the 3 to 4 knot range. Boats were J80's which are a little on the too-lean side of things, though not much. Large cockpits are nice.

Oh... and breaking the bank isn't really in the cards. So a new boat is not on the table (e33 won't be happening).

Wonder whether the Alerion 28 with a Gennaker moves well enough or not. I can see the advantage a nice big, light sail adds to moving the boat... but not sure the wife's going to feel included on a J boat just yet. Love to hear some feedback/suggestions/recommendations. Hope I've provided good enough data... but that's always a wild card.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook