SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knock Down Drills?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009

MazeRat7 is on a distinguished road
Knock Down Drills?

Excuse my paranoia, but last weekend on a perfectly tame day I watched two larger boats (a Catalina 28 and a Benateau 30-something) almost put their spreaders in the water when we were hit with out-flow from a passing thunderstorm. I saw it happening and had barely enough time to douse the genny and point up.... I still cleaned the windows and took on water.

Granted my little cat is really tender, but still I would like to avoid a salvage operation that cost more than my boat.

In a previous thread I posted this link about The Science of ballast and heeling for a Catalina 22 and as you can see from the analysis, anything more than about 70lbs of weight on the midpoint of my mast will keep the boat from righting after a 90 degree heel.

70lbs is not much margin when you consider water in a sail, a crew member hanging on, etc.

So I guess my question is, how do I vet my "knock down" plan. I know its going to happen someday, though I try my best to keep her on her feet. Its not like a MOB or Hove to drill... its more a thought experiment or plan. What things would/have you folks done when the mast is in the water and there is not enough counter torque to right the boat?

MZr7
1985 Catalina 36 Tall #404
s/v Peace of Mind
Austin, Tx.

Last edited by MazeRat7; 09-22-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook