SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portugese coast and passage planning
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009

Yofy is on a distinguished road
I'm back from the delivery and almost two months sailing! Had a great trip. Both Robyn and I agree that some of our best memories are the ports that we called in along the Atlantic coasts of Spain and Portugal. As this was a delivery, we couldn't dawdle and that's a shame because this coast truly is a beautiful cruising ground.

Gui's advice was spot on (of course ). Our delivery began in La Rochelle France and once we'd sailed up the Bay of Biscay we were ready for a rest so we called in at La Coruna, Spain. From there we had light winds to round Cape Finister and head south. We actually caught northerly breezes as we headed south, so I tacked out to sea. One long tack to about 35 miles off the coast and then another tack back to Caicais, Portugal our next stop. This allowed us to avoid the Berlengas Islands and to sail.

Unfortunatley we had the owner's rep on board who was fairly interfering (just read our blog if you want the whole story...) and we were only given 3 hours in Caicais! So I didn't get a chance to call Gui or to enjoy the town. We all regretted that because Caicais is a very pretty place.

From there we had good straight forward sailing all the way to Gibraltar and into the Med. There was some fishing, but nothing like I expected there would be and I didn't see any fish farms.

So, thanks for to all of you who put me in touch with Gui.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook