SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tough little boat
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by defrich View Post
I've seen Lake Erie go to blue water style waves quick time from calm. Your pictures of the turmoil are quite informative.
As to a trailerable sailboat for the lake. I have just purchased a 26M from MacGregor ( no personal info as of yet, it gets here ( Long Island ) in 9 days ( but who's counting )). You can check the MacGregor site for a video of a 26M in Gale conditionds. Trailer weight is under 3000 pounds.

Blue Skies...Richard
I don't know where you got the under 3000# quote from but you are very mistaken.
I own a 2003 26M and can assure you the trailered weight is much closer to 4000# especially when you have an engine with two full gas tanks two batteries and all your supplies and provisions. A class 3 tow hitch and vehicle is required along with a longer wheel base.
There is no way a MacGregor will survive the turmoil in those pictures, you'd be a gonner. As far as the video you mention, I have watched it, and even though seeing is believing, few sailors would take a Mac out in gale force winds. Small craft, absolutely, I do it all the time, but when the winds start gusting over 30 knots it is long overdue to head back, I call it quits at 25 knots - 20-25 is on the edge for me but I can still handle it.
Congrats on your new Mac, it will give you years of enjoyment, I am on season 7 with mine and have never looked back, it is a great boat for its' intended venues but ocean going it isn't. I sail the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited by CaptKermie; 09-23-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: SP.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook