SailNet Community - View Single Post - Racing sails
Thread: Racing sails
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005

Teakell is on a distinguished road
Racing sails

John.

I hope that this doesnt come to late. In your quest for the right sail from the perfect sailmaker it''s right to shop around. But try not to limit yourself with the large sailmakers. You would''nt go wrong to at least call a local small sailmaker like Pineapple Sails in the San Francisco bay area. Sailmaking these days really has two facets, sails and support. Most large sailmakers don''t have the time to support the little guy. They talk a good game and have a lot of fluff in their advertisments but after you buy their product its see ya later. Technology can be very even between the two ends of the industry if everyone is paying attention, so don''t think that just because they are a small company they are not as smart.

One last comment. Dacron verses Carbon/Kevlar/Pentex. If you want the sail to be competitive for as long as possible I would go with Carbon. Its by far the most durable yarn. Stretches less, UV doesnt hurt it, and its flex is the same as Kevlar. Its 10% more expensive than Kevlar which is twice that of dacron. But Dacron will tire out at least twice as fast.

And that comment about club racing and sails matter less that skill...Baaaah. I have coached many club sailors who have only seen their result sky rocket with the addition of a new sail or two.

Good Luck with you search.
Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook