SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips needed as a Young Woman Sailing!
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009

SailorPam is on a distinguished road
Wow, I'm jealous! I was almost twice your age when I started sailing. And I'm still a couple years from moving aboard with my boyfriend. Well okay, husband of 25 years, but he's always my boyfriend in my mind. We bought our first sailboat as our 20th anniversary gift to each other. First advice is that sailing can put you in stressful situations that can test your relationship. Use those tests! They teach you alot about your relationship and yourself. I learned that I don't have to be in control all of the time, and that I can trust my co-captian with my life.

Next I feel strongly that you need to be able to single-hand the boat. I mean everything - departing, sailing, motoring, sail changes, anchoring, docking, switching a fuel filter. Things happen and you may need to do things alone for any number of reasons - from a nasty case of flu to an injury. Not to mention being together because you want to is far better than because you need to.

The world-travelling-by-sailboat I'm less qualified to expound upon. Anything I tell you, you can read in a book. But as far as sharing a small space with your lover goes, I can tell you that it's work. Could be the most rewarding of your life's work, but it's still work. If the relationship is good, it's worth the work. I suspect you wouldn't be casting off if you didn't feel this one is worth that work. In that case you'll have a great experience that will build your relationship and your self. Best wishes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Racers want to finish first, cruisers never want to finish.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook