SailNet Community - View Single Post - What You Have Learned After Becoming a Liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I was making such a list just last night. I lived aboard for 2 years in a marina about 20 years ago and with my boy off to college now and me an empty-nester, I've thought about living aboard again. For reference, I was 37 then, 57 now. My boat was & is a Catalina 36 (great liveaboard boat) & I own a 2,000 sq ft townhouse. I decided that the things I'd miss (in no particular order) are my 70" TV with DVR, piano, the garage for my cars & motorcycles & workshop (I like to build & fix stuff), a dry place for my guitars, a dry place for my guns and insane ammo supply, desktop computer with high-speed internet, the kitchen & appliances, long hot showers, king size bed, central air when it's hot, central heat when it's cold and space to keep all the clothes, books & "stuff" that I've accumulated. I loved living aboard, but my life was much simpler then. I haven't decided whether I'm willing to give up the foregoing, I may well just stay living on land and go sailing when I want. The thought of keeping a boat on the east coast & cruising the Bahamas in the winters is also a consideration. Oh, and for the record, had I NOT gotten married, moved off my boat, had a child and bought the house and stuff, I'm sure that I would have been as happy as a clam still living on my boat. It really is a great way to live, but it may have passed me by at this point.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook