SailNet Community - View Single Post - What You Have Learned After Becoming a Liveaboard
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 09-23-2009
MikeinLA

I was making such a list just last night. I lived aboard for 2 years in a marina about 20 years ago and with my boy off to college now and me an empty-nester, I've thought about living aboard again. For reference, I was 37 then, 57 now. My boat was & is a Catalina 36 (great liveaboard boat) & I own a 2,000 sq ft townhouse. I decided that the things I'd miss (in no particular order) are my 70" TV with DVR, piano, the garage for my cars & motorcycles & workshop (I like to build & fix stuff), a dry place for my guitars, a dry place for my guns and insane ammo supply, desktop computer with high-speed internet, the kitchen & appliances, long hot showers, king size bed, central air when it's hot, central heat when it's cold and space to keep all the clothes, books & "stuff" that I've accumulated. I loved living aboard, but my life was much simpler then. I haven't decided whether I'm willing to give up the foregoing, I may well just stay living on land and go sailing when I want. The thought of keeping a boat on the east coast & cruising the Bahamas in the winters is also a consideration. Oh, and for the record, had I NOT gotten married, moved off my boat, had a child and bought the house and stuff, I'm sure that I would have been as happy as a clam still living on my boat. It really is a great way to live, but it may have passed me by at this point.

Mike
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome