One of my winter woodworking projects is going to be replacing my existing companionway doors with a new custom set.
I'm looking for ideas, thoughts, suggestions and photos from anyone who's done this. I'll also be checking out the booths of a couple of vendors who make them at the Annapolis Sailboat Show.
What I want to add/correct/improve on my current doors:
- The ability to pop out the glass and drop in screens.
- Able to quickly drop in hatch boards behind the doors (I can't use hatch boards with the current mounting hardware).
- Better weather sealing when I'm aboard in the winter.
- Easier to open/close the hatch.
- More decorative details (decorative dolphin inlays for the wife on the
Here's what I currently have and want to improve on.