SailNet Community - View Single Post - Concerned
Thread: Concerned
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
So here is the dilema in brief;
You are 55 years old and fit enough. (you are never going to be any fitter)
You work as hard as a lizard drinking water with no time for anything else. (then you'd better start making time)
You have but one passion, maybe two, and that is to sail the Sth Western Pacific Islands. (that's for the good)
You are prepared to indulge your passion by selling the power boats and getting into a 42 or 43' catamaran. (makes sense)
You cannot breakaway from your work commitments for another 5 years. (you really need to move that schedule forward)
You have no interest in joining the other Grey Nomads and driving around Australia. (that's a relief...the hordes of GN MotorHomers is starting to get depressing)
So here are the questions in brief;
Is 60 or 63 too old to do the sailing. (I hope not cos I'm 57 but like many a dreamer I wish I had started the wind down sooner)
Will you still be motivated. (yep, but maybe not quite as agile)
Can you handle the trip as one couple where the wife does'nt sail. (if wife doesn't sail then you are going to need crew)
Too many other questions.

Regards from Schmacko the concerned !
This year I have had for the first time health issues purely related to bits of me wearing out. Nothing major but it does give one pause for thought and I am seriously giving myself a good kicking for not making it happen at least two years ago.

Now I know that some couples have made the fly in wife thing work but while not knocking the concept it does mean you will be doing a lot of single handing or constantly on the lookout for crew. You might just need to factor that into your choice of boat.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 09-24-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook