SailNet Community - View Single Post - rope to wire halyard knot
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009

jmolan is on a distinguished road
I use 1/4" Dynex for all my halyards. Wire is dead......dead weight just waiting to cause problems....I treat theDynex like a wire to rope Halyard
The 1/4" stuff is plenty strong, but I needed a way to handle it. For the part I hoist by hand, and leave on the deck when hoisted. I took a double braid with the same size core and removed 8 feet or so of the core. I ran the Dynex into the cover and stitched it where it hits the other core. And whipped (or taped ) where the cover and core meet. It cover acts like a chinese finger trick, just gets tighter with tension.
this also is good economics. You do not have to size the Dynex to make it easy to handle. You do not have an oversized and expensive rope laying on your deck doing nothing.
I use "softies" for all shackles now. They are Dynex loops that are stronger than shackles, as well as easy on the boat and hands. Anywhere I had shackles, I now have "softies"
Photos of some of this is in the lower URL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook