SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who''s living on what??
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005

yacht_copasetic is on a distinguished road
Who''''s living on what??

Hey there, my 0.02 is to check out whether the galley is "liveable" or not. I lived aboard a boat with an inadequate galley for a while and found this to be the biggest annoyance for me. There was not enough counter surface to prepare food, not enough standing headroom (6''2 in my case), and not enough storage. Refrigeration was a cold box that needed ice. I ended up eating ashore a lot, which frustrated me since I was on a tight budget. So when I was searching for my current boat (Roberts Mauritius 45), the galley was something I payed a lot of attention to. Plenty of counter space (which I am about to extend further), decent storage space, and full standing headroom.

Since I haven''t won that elusive lottery yet, I also need to go to work every day, so I need some hanging space for work clothing. Not quite enough on my boat, but for the price range I was in its adequate...another thing to look out for if you''re "in the same boat" (sorry, bad pun, I know).

I would have preferred a smaller boat. Ironically suitable smaller boats were out of my price range since the suitable ones were generally newer (newer design enabling better liveability in less space). Smaller boats are generally cheaper to operate and easier to handle, lighter to dock and therefore generally leave the moorings more often.

At the end of the day, she is MY boat and that is better than any perfect dream boat that I DON''T have.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook