SailNet Community - View Single Post - Deck paint/ epoxy???
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009

Artz is on a distinguished road
Painting

Hi Thought I would chime in here. I had a yacht restoration and refinishing bussiness for more then 15 years. I have worked on boats from 8 foot dinghies to meg Yachts of 120 foot.
Are you planning on painting the cabin ad The Deck? or just your non skid? Brushing any good quality LP takes time. The Sterling paint website has some good information Painting. They relate to any 2 part LP paint.
If you plan to use a brush here are some useful tips One thing I recommend is Take your project in sections. Plan out an area that you can tape off. Such as rear of cabin and do that section. Then Port side and Starboard side. The best method is to use a foam roller and have a 2nd Pearson follow and tip out the pant with a quality brush. When brushing you will most likely have to do 2 or 3 coats. Make sure this is done with in the limits of what the Paint manufacturer recommends. Other wise you will have to lightly sand between coat with 220 sand paper. Plan your tape lines so that they are not too visible when you are finished. Now if you plan to spray you should be able to do all the cabin and decks at once. Prep is the key to successful application. after the main area is cured back tape with a high quality fine line tape for your nonskid make sure the edge of the tape is pressed down tight. paint creep really makes a job look amateurish. The nonstop is best done with a roller and brush. ad some nonskid beads to your paint. Mix the paint often so beads stay suspended. They will layout in a nice even pattern as the paint cures. Good luck and even when doing this outside wear a good respirator. On a side note bugs seem to be attracted to the smell of LP paints. Try and find someplace that is as bug free as possible.
I once did the finish work on a 45 foot sloop that was being built inland. All around the area where Farms, pastures and cows ! I waited untill I had a calm day with little wind and shot the hull. Well as luck would have it, a slight breeze picked up and shifter from the nearest pasture. Before the paint cured there were millions of flies all over the port side. It looked like the port side hull had grown a living beard. I can laugh about it now. At the time It wasn't so funny.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook