SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cheap transient dockage - New Jersey or Baltimore/Annapolis?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
Well, as many people probably know, we've been taking a sabbatical from our sabbatical and have been tied up at the Albany Yacht Club in New York for the past month. On October 24th they have to take the docks out so we need to find a new home. We're still trying to figure out whether the timing is right to continue on our cruise. If it's not, we're going to need to find an alternative spot to hole up for a few more months.

Basically, if we do need to stick around, we're still going to continue to live on Pelican. BUT, I'll need to spend at least a few days a week in Albany, NY. To me, that leaves two alternatives - find a marina in northern NJ where it snows less than in New York and New England and we can drive the 3 hours to Albany, or go to Baltimore or Annapolis where we can fly up to Albany on Southwest.

The problem? I don't want to spend more than $800/month including electric. Also, we need a place with no ice (we want to be able to leave), showers and a place to park two cars. AND - if it's in NJ, it can't be more than 3 or 3.5 hours from Albany so I can make day trips if necessary. I'm not concerned about the climate (except to reduce the amount of snow from what we would get on the Hudson, unless someone has an idea around NYC) - we actually have both a Webasto diesel heater and a CruisAir system on board - but cost and convenience are highly important.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Chris,

Check Farley state marina in Atlantic City. They are priced unreasonably for transients in the summer and in general, but who knows what they would charge to have a boat stay at a time of the year when they can not get any one to fill up their slips in the winter. Also check Forked River State marina on Barnegat bay in NJ. Not sure they allow liveaboards or you to stay in in the winter.

Dave

#4 ·
chris give both baltimore marine center and anchorage marina in baltimore a call. this is the time of year a bunch of snow birds start heading south. they typically rent oot their slips at around 250 a month. i know bmc has one parking spot but parking n the area is not too bad ( walk a block or so for parking ). there is a safeway and a west marine right there. infact call the west marine on boston street in baltimore they have a board where a lot of slips are listed and mutlible people who work there live in either marina.

the area is nice, and pretty safe.

#5 ·
okay, I know this is a long shot ...

So many marinas around here are half-empty during the winter, you could probably negotiate a good rate for a place that's normally exorbitant during the summer.

In fact, we know of a really nice, newly rebuilt slip at Port Annapolis whose longterm tenants are headed south this winter (us). We could ask our marina what kind of deal they could cut on a sub-lease, if you're interested. Slip is normally $900/mo plus $100 flat-rate utilities for liveaboard. We could even make a side deal for our DSL service.

#6 ·
Chris, I don't know that area but believe Haverstraw (west side, n of tappen zee) is open year round & glad for business. Also, the east side has some marinas (tappan zee north of the bridge, and Ossining (home of Sing Sing prison) that take craft all winter.

Again, no idea of the rates but I KNOW some of them are open all year long. You might try calling the local USCG station and asking them which marinas are open all winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.