SailNet Community - View Single Post - Searching for Cruiser for 6'3" skipper
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009

winddancer88 is on a distinguished road
There are a ton of mid-30 ft cruisers with 6'3" headroom, some with 6'4". More headroom can be found, but most of those are newer and longer boats.

As to your boat selection, the Catalina 36 has 6'3" or 6'4" headroom depending on the model year. The Pearson 38 has always been near the top of my "affordable boat list", slightly above the Catalina 36 as I like the lines a little better and believe it is a little more stoutly built. Both boats have similar dimensions, though the Pearson is laid out like the Cat 34 with an aft head and a larger v-berth (which I prefer).

The Cheoy Lees I've been in were pretty, heavy, boats with less headroom and interior space that comparably-sized alternatives. I would guess 6' headroom on the 32' that I was in. I don't know about the 38" Offshore.

C&C's of that vintage were good, fast cruisers. Interior space significantly less than the Catalina or Pearson you are looking at.

I would avoid the Hunter Legend. I've looked at some for sale and they were poorly built and not well maintained. I think Hunter has made some huge strides forward in recent years (2002+?) but I wouldn't buy an older one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook