SailNet Community - View Single Post - Damaged Boat
Thread: Damaged Boat
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005

boconnor310 is on a distinguished road
Damaged Boat

My mooring at the marina dragged about 40 yards during a storm. It knocked into other boats along the way causing damage to our boat and at least one other. The damage to our boat consisted of fiberglass damage on the hull and toerail and several stanchions on both sides of the boat significantly bent.

The marina bent the stanchions back into place, but I am not sure if this is a sufficient fix as the structural integrity of bent metal is permanently compromised. They did this before we had the opportunity to take pictures for insurance purposes. I don''t believe they intend to charge me but I would prefer that the stanchions be replaced. Am I correct or is bending them back sufficient?? Any advice from more expereinced sailors would be appreciated.

Other relevant information:
1) We were the only boat in the marina that dragged. Our boat is in a protected harbor on LI Sound. The storm was not a hurricane. Winds of 30-45mph w/ gusts over 50. I would expect a mooring to hold in these conditions.
2) They failed to contact one of the other boat owners who sustained damage ecven though I pointed out the damage to them (a piece of his rubrail was found on my boat). I am suspicious that they were hoping the other owner would never find out that his damage was the result of a dragged mooring. Unfortunately for the marina, I ran into the other owner the next weekend at the dock and explained what happened.

I am troubled by my marina''s response to this incident. I am looking for independent advice on how I should proceed re the stanchion damage and if I should take it a step further and have a surveyor look at the boat for more serious damage.

Thank you for your help.

Brian O''Connor
Catalina 310
Anam na Mara
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook