SailNet Community - View Single Post - Damaged Boat
Thread: Damaged Boat
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Damaged Boat

I think the above advice is very usefull. Especially the bit about photo-documenting EVERYTHING.

To answer the one area I can speak with a bit of authority on, the Stanchions are either weakened to a greater or lesser degree or not. It all depends on how they repaired them. IF by "repair" you mean some dock monkey jumped aboard with a pair of vice grips and a length of pipe and levered them back while they were still bolted to the deck...then they have been flawed and weakened and I would be hessitent to trust them (though if the bend was like 5degrees or something, then it will not harm them).

If the stanchions were removed form the boat, properly heated to a meleable tempreture, bent back to straight and then heated and cooled so as to shrink the stretched and stressed area back into shape, before being normalised and then (being stainless) chemically treated post heating and then re-polished before being re-bedded and bolted to the deck....I would say they are as good as new.

If you do not know how badly bent they were when the damage occured, before someone tried to fix them, then you may need to asses what the term "LIFE lines" means to you and how much you want to trust the first method of repair.

Sasha

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook