SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying Sails
Thread: Buying Sails
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
FX...when my new main arrived just in time for the season, I got it half-unpacked and noticed there were only four numbers on the sail---the middle number was missing. So it went right back.

After four weeks of cajoling (and no sailing...) it arrived again, this time I bent it on,,, and it was six inches short in the foot...The whole mess went on for over a year.
Ouch!!

Those are exactly the sort of problems I've worried about whenever I was tempted by the "on-line" pricing. And believe me, I've been tempted.

We ended up going with local lofts for the three new sails we purchased for our boat. We ended up getting what I felt was a fair price, good service (they measured at the boat), and good follow-up after the fact. It's almost inevitable that the sails will require some tweaking -- there are just so many variables involved.

And, you'll need repairs and maintenance from time to time. So it's nice to have a "relationship" with a local loft, too. Plus, I really enjoy stopping by the loft every so often to hear the latest racing news and see their big projects under way. It's a great way to get a "fix" during mid-winter when sailing season has shut down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook