SailNet Community - View Single Post - Your chance to tell me where to go - departing Montauk
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
The DM3000 has been upgraded to the DM3500. It still has the annoying audio "sail-trim commentary" feature but it now includes the digital "solo" sailor picture and movie taking feature that most of our solo sailors have been requesting. You have the ordering information.

Did you get your steering loosened up?

There are several nice marinas on this side of the sound. Westbrook is very nice and you have a free pass. Also I was recently at Bridgeport and while the town is not fancy the marina is first rate.

I have visited Bristol RI to see the Herreshoff Museum by land and I think it would be a nice trip by boat too.
They have their own dock and their boats are a short walk away in an enclosed building.
Herreshoff Marine Museum & America's Cup Hall of Fame

Entering unfamiliar harbors and getting into slips with a 50' boat is obviously doable but just as obvious you are significantly reducing your margin of safety. If you choose to do it or not depends on your definition of fun.

I forgot about the (waterproof) photo capability of the DM3500! It seems everything has an embedded camera these days, how could I forget? THE DM3500 IS WELCOME ON OUR BOAT ANYTIME.

I should probably list the places I've been. I'd like to do something new, I think:
Sag Harbor
Sherter Island -- except the harbor on the north side
Block Island
Cuttyhunk
Tarpaulin Cove (on the way from Cuttyhunk to Mystic)
Mystic (joined, membership now expired)
Port Jefferson
Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard
Newport (with BillyRuff'n)
Woods Hole (with BillyRuff'n)
Cape Cod Canal (with BillyRuff'n)
Provincetown (with BillyRuff'n)

EDIT: We bought our boat near Annapolis, so there was also our sail up from there. We didn't leave the boat so there were no shore excursions. Adding these to the list though:

Upper Chesapeak
C&D Canal
Delaware Bay
Cape May (overnighted there for a wicked storm that went through)
Up the Jersey coast
Along the Long Island coast
That's it! Looking at this list, I should really get out more.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!

Last edited by Bene505; 09-30-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook