SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Yanmar, hard to start, or just cold natured?

10K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  CanDrac 
#1 ·
I have a new Yanmar 4Jh4AE. It has just 256 hrs. I have found that you have to use the glow plugs to get her to start every time you start her, or rev her up a little. Is this right? Every other diesel I have had experience with after warmed up will start in a second. Ok I first start of the morning, glow for at least 20 sec, starts right away.(It is in the 80s or 90s) Motor the boat for 45 min to 1hr, to deep water. Engine off sail for 2 or 3 hrs. I reach down and hit the starter and she will start for a few seconds and then die. Now I can glow her again and or sometimes she will still not start until I rev her a little. To me this diesel should be warm for a long time, and not have to use the glow plugs, or the throttle. Now I did talk to a diesel injection guy that said the with the new diesels that are coming out now, that they could be cold natured.
I am not very cold natured, when I reach for the key and she will not start!!!!!!!!
Please help guys!
Dockdozer

#32 ·
Finally. I want to thank everyone for your help. The first thing I did when I got to the boat was bleed the fuel system. Lot of air! So I went over every fitting from the fuel tank to the engine. One or two seemed lose to me. Pulled the filters checked the gaskets. Bleed the system again and low and behold. Finally she starts like a diesel should. Next morning, touch the key, no glow plugs, less than a second fires right up. YYAAHHOO!!! Let set threw the day same thing. Next morning Same thing!!!!
Thank You All for all your help!!!!!!!
Dozer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.