SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson 39-2/Ericson 38-200/Tartan 37
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005

D&D is on a distinguished road
Pearson 39-2/Ericson 38-200/Tartan 37

I am considering the purchase of a Pearson 39-2 (1987-1991 vintage) and am looking for information and experiences from the good readers at sail-net.
We currently own a C&C 32 & sail in the Great Lakes on Georgian Bay. We are planning a 1 year trip down the ICW to the Bahamas & back (2 adults, girl & boy 11 & 9). We are looking for a well built, good sailing boat with shoal draft, decent accomodation and stowage and reasonable tankage. I want to keep the boat for many years after we return so am looking for something that is well built and will be suitable for Georgian Bay, which means a good sailing boat(including light air) & shoal draft.
I have been trying to find information about the hull construction of the P39-2 and owners experiences with the boat without much luck.
A number of brokers have told me the hulls are balsa cored but no one seems to be able to tell me if it is the whole hull or only down to the waterline. (I had one broker tell me it was cored only below the waterline which seemed to me make little sense but may well be true). Do Pearsons have a good reputation as far as osmotic blistering or any issues with core delamination or rot in either the hull or deck?
I have listed a couple of other boats at the top that seem to be in our price range and fit our general criterea as well as my aesthetic taste so any information on those boats would be very welcome as well.
Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook