SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard and Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005

aclosereachaway is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard and Cruiser

Ahoy all, this is my first post here after having read many different topics for well over a year. If you don''t mind reading a brief synopsis of my plans I think it will help with my question... First off I am 22 years old and a senior in college. My life long dream is to cruise extensively. My girlfriend and I have decided to make this dream a reality. I plan on working for 3 or 4 years, or until my boat and experience are ready to take on some serious blue water sailing. My question to you is the biggest question when taking on such an endeavour...what boat? A huge aspect of this of course is what do I want to spend? Well believe it or not I have saved, and used the stock market and so forth...so as a down payment I have a little over 40k. The job I would like to get will start me off somewhere around 45k a year. Those of you with much more experience than I in these matters know better than I what is a good priced boat that will not only fit my needs, but will also be reasonable to make payments on in the time alloted. I want to live on the boat while getting ready to go, so it must be roomy enough, and set up well as a liveaboard for two people. The boats that I have currently in mind are between 37 to 41 feet. From a Tayana 37, a great boat is almost all aspects, to a Ta Chiao 41...which I know are a gamble. I know these are larger boats for a young couple, but becuase I will be living on it for many years I need something for ''stuff'', and also I am 6 foot 3 and need good headroom. I do have a good amount of experience for someone my age, I have a 22 foot sailboat now, I have sailed on my father''s 38 footer to Bermuda, up and down the east coast, and all over the chesapeake bay. Not much by many of your standards, but enough to make me obsessed with my plans. I think that I have now produced enough information of for some ideas if you all would be so kind. Thank you all very much, and Jeff be kind.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook