SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard and Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005

aclosereachaway is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard and Cruiser

Okay, I will try to respond to Whoosh first and supply some additional information that has been suggested. First off my name is Will, I go to school in Mass. and plan on moving to either Virginia Beach, VA or East/central FL upon graduation.

I only kid about Jeff. I have read many of his posts and am astounded by his knowledge and experience. I''m just afraid to be completely wrong.

My cruising plans consist of going thru the canal, and over to the S. pacific to cruise for a few years. And if life takes me farther west so be it.

As I look at boats that will allow two people to liveaboard and cruise I see two different types of boats. For crusing a Tayana 37, or for that matter a 27 Pacific Seacraft would be great, but the PS27 offers no room of course and would be almost unbearable on such long cruises...at least to someone as long as I. As for a liveaboard a Hudson Force 50 or CT 41 would be fantastic. So a middle ground must be found that will be easily handled by a crew of two in all situations, be affordable, and be able to hold all clothing and possessions (within reason of course). I mentioned the Tayana 37 becuase it embodies almost all qualities, good sailing performance, good motion, would also make a good liveaboard for two people for a few years. I also like cutter rigs, so that is another bonus.

My last thought is this: do I want to spend a bit more money on a boat that comes equiped with things like windvane/generator/water maker/radar and the like, or do I want to find a boat without these options and get the exact equipment that fits my needs specifically?

To Irwin32 thank you very much for your reply. I looked at the boat that you provided a link for and it seems like a pretty neat boat, but I am embarresed to say I''ve never heard of that build before. What would you say about headroom and creature comforts?

I think that sums up most of my ideas about what I want to do, hopefully this additional information with help. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook