SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living on a mooring
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
been thinking about this for some time. Build or buy minimal, around 30' or less and cruise the circle following the weather. In laws in Norfolk, so Chesapeake in summer, gulf in the winter. I'm not financially independent so I'd have to work to keep it going. Maybe 4 months in the Chesapeake working and cruising and working further south in the winters. I like the Idea of living on a hook, but as I understand the state of affairs , we're limited as to how long we can anchor in the U.S. So is it doable?
Median income for the world as a whole is between 850$us/year and 1700$us/year depending on who you get your numbers from. That means that half of the human beings on the earth, approximately 3 billion people, live on less than 5$us/day, and they manage to find water to drink, food to eat, clothing to wear, raise their children, and they live their lives just fine.

My point is, obviously, yes, it can be done, relatively easily in fact, but I doubt most Americans could do it.

Financial independence means having expenses that are lower than your return on investment, for an income of 1700$us/year (the high median for the world) at 3% interest that means you need approximately 57k$us, which happens to be approximately the median salary for someone in the United States for one year of work. Said another way - the amount of money the median person in America makes in a year or two would be enough to make the median person in the world financially independent for life.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook