SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spinnaker Sock
Thread: Spinnaker Sock
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
When I raced and when we had our 28' we did not have a sock and I learned how to pack a chute quickly in a cramped cabin. I can count on one hand how many messed up hoists I had with the traditional method.

When we purchased Victoria (the boat, not the wife), it came with an asymmetrical chute and a sock. We like it because dousing the sail is much more controlled and safer with this much larger sail. Even the Volvo Open boats use a sock. With that said, I find that having a tack line on the asymmetrical sometimes leads to the sail being hoisted with the sheet under the tack. Which makes for interesting conversation in the cockpit. I understand that this is more a reflection of the characteristics of an asymmetrical chute and my foredeck setup. But having most of the sail in a sock makes it a little harder to see if there is a problem with the hoist.

Bottom line is that I agree with zz4gta. For a 19' boat, there are better uses for your money. Would I buy one again? Yes, but only for a large sail and only because it's safer and easier to douse. IMO, setting a spinnaker is easier without a sock.