SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking for my first boat
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Kind of reminded me of my recent aquisition

I had the bug up my butt to try something new, so on an impulse I ran out and bought a mandolin. But if I do not like playing it it is $150 I can afford to loose.

I have to agree to aferlazzo on this one. If you have just taken your first sailing courses and know nothing about boat ownership or whether or not your family will be scared the first time the boat heals past 10 degrees, a 40+ foot boat and a 160k is a lot to invest in an experiment of boat ownership.

The expense and complications of owning a boat of 40+ feet is magnified many times over that of one 30 feet. You could buy a Catalina 30 (not necessarily saying you should buy as C30 just an example) for less than 20k to learn to sail on while you learn about maintenance and what you like in a boat. If in the end of a few years you could give the boat away and be ahead of the learning curve and expense of buying a massive boat.

A smaller boat would be:
Cheaper to buy
Cheaper to own
Easier to fix
Easier to sail, without a large and knowledgeable crew.
Put the rest in the bank, no stock market, no, under your mattress so you can buy a bigger boat when your family also think visiting Brazil by sailboat is a good idea.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook