SailNet Community - View Single Post - single handing yawls
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005

norjim2 is on a distinguished road
single handing yawls

Scott, My wife and I sailed a Seagoer 34'' gaff yawl for 25 years around Florida, the Bahamas, and the Caribbean. I''d like to list some pros and cons that we experienced with the yawl rig.
Our 120 square foot mizzen provided little driving power during normal weather, but did help balance the boat when the main was dropped during strong winds.
Much pleasure was had flying a mizzen staysail during light winds. The mizzen was often used to reduce the rolling motion in an anchorage. The mizzen rigging provided a good place for tying the awning while at anchor.
On the bad side, it requires too much space aft and may well conflict with a wind driven steering system. We had to vang our mizzen to keep it from accidentally coming across and hitting the Aires vane.
I would think a good rig for single handing in a 36 to 40 foot boat would be a properly designed cutter. Not a sloop with an inner jib rigged but a true cutter with a smaller main and a large fore triangle, perhaps with two roller reefed jibs.
Enjoy dreaming about your next boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook