SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lippincott 30 - Info wanted - PLEASE
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009

4arch is on a distinguished road
I recently had an offer accepted on a Lippincott 30. She'll be surveyed a week from Monday and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed now that all will go well!

I looked at a number of other comparable boats but found the build quality, sailing characteristics, and interior appointments of the L30 superior to other production boats of the same vintage. The interior feels like those of larger, higher end boats and the designers really seem to have thought of little places for everything.

The main weakness I've noted so far is that the stove is set into the counter rather than being gimbaled and that cockpit seat behind the wheel is only about 8" wide. I don't think the stove is going to be a major issue and I'll really have to wait and see how I feel most comfortable steering before I decide to do any mods to the cockpit.

My plan (well, our plan) is to cruise the Chesapeake extensively and perhaps do some of the overnight bay races. I may even eventually move into weekday evening PHRF racing, but that remains to be seen. I have a feeling the L30 will be an excellent cruising boat and an adequate racing boat.

She only comes with a main and a 150 genoa so I'd eventually want to get a working jib or perhaps a 135 that could be roller reefed down to 110ish. I would have liked to have purchased a boat with a stronger sail inventory, but in the end this boat was so well maintained and otherwise well equipped that it was worth the trade off.

All in all I'm very excited! If the survey works out I'll share my experiences and with any luck might be able to reconnect with some of the other L30 owners out there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook