SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do I need to buy offshore foulies for this south-bound delivery?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Do I need to buy offshore foulies for this south-bound delivery?

I have "made do" on Lake Ontario with various Gore-Tex rainsuits (separate pants and jacket) as foul weather gear. In fact, it's the same stuff I use bicycling and the jacket, combined with fleeces, is what I wear in all but the coldest parts of winter.

I have any number of Topsider-type "boat shoes" and I have Gill sea boots to mid-calf. I also have neoprene gloves and a wide collection of toques, caps and hats.

I also have Henri Lloyd bib overalls, but I've never worn them much, frankly.

It appears, however, that I'm going to be crewing from North Carolina to USVIs in the first two weeks of November with "Killarney Sailor" from here on Sailnet on his and his wife's Bristol 45.5. So my question is this:

Do I need basic foulies because of the time of year and the fact that it might get damned wet going south against the Gulf Stream? Or will a lighter selection of rain gear do?

If I need to invest in foulies, what brands are recommended? I suspect that this trip will start out fairly harshly, and then rapidly moderate as we track south to shorts, T-shirt, nylon shell and boat sandals weather.

A lot of you guys sail these waters, so if I need to spend serious money, that's fine. Better warm and dry on deck at 2 AM than shivering and wishing I'd brought sturdier gear.